Saturday, February 14, 2009

Third Wave Feminism

Third Wave feminism started to begin in the early 1990’s. It was a very individualistic Wave, much different than the First and Second Waves that had occurred beforehand. The women associated with the Third Wave were criticized for not being political enough and focusing more on their sexuality, power, and body. Many characteristics include individual empowerment through their sexuality and embracing the idea of “girlie culture”, which was the idea to embrace femininity and reclaim their sexuality. Instead of regular protests, Third Wave feminists participated in “radical cheerleaders”. These groups would show up at political events, protests, etc. and dress in outlandish outfits and cheer about what it meant to be a woman.

This Wave was extremely controversial between the Second Wave. They believed that all the work they contributed had been forgotten through the new ideas and characteristics of this more modern Wave.

Overall, I do not know if I would consider myself to be a Third Wave feminist, for I do not know if I consider myself a feminist yet. Between all three Waves, I do believe that I would associate myself with the Third Wave more because the characteristics of them are portrayed in our society today and have been around since my generation was born. I do believe that women should be allowed to embrace their sexuality and individualism to provide the public with knowledge about feminism.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, but the Third Wave is occurring NOW - I would caution you against using the past tense to describe it.

    ReplyDelete