In the work force today, we have discussed in class the struggles for women to achieve a higher status and equality in their jobs. Women are not able to achieve as much as men in jobs, and do not receive the same respect and opportunities as well. Although benefits and equality have increased, we still are struggling to be seen on the same level as men in the work force.
For the past three and a half years, I have worked at Hallmark back home in New Jersey. Usually people think that Hallmark employees are all female and those of an older age. Interestingly enough, those that work at my Hallmark are of all ages; however, there is one male that works there. Also, our supervisor is a male as well, and he comes at least once a week to check up on the store and our business. It is interesting to see the reverse effect of gender in the work force on him. Men are usually given more respect and equality within the job; however, in his case, he is seen as equal, and sometimes lower than the rest of the female employees. He is given tasks that are seen as "easy" or "feminine" to which he feels belittled and are degrading to him. One time, I asked him how he felt being surrounded by females all the time. He responded that he felt as though our boss gave him jobs that could be easily completed by anyone of any age. He also said that the way she explains to him the instructions on how to complete the task makes him feel as though he is incompetent and unable to understand her directions because he is a male and she thinks he is too "dumb" to do it correctly.
After having this conversation with him, I became more aware of what he said and began to observe. I then realized that he was right. Our boss was stereotyping him for being a male working in a mostly female environment and belittled him when she spoke. It was interesting to see the opposite of what we have been learning in class. I have realized that it all depends on the type of job that one possesses and the way that you are treated. In this case, it is the male being discriminated against, not the female.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We always here of women's stories of discrimination in the workplace and how there needs to be equal opportunity for both sexes. Because of this stereotype this blog was so surprising and interesting to read. In reality, men do get discriminated against. However, a woman's story is more important and sympathetic in this situation. Funny how society works.
ReplyDeleteThis narrative is very eye opening. It is true that when I think of Hallmark, I think of elderly women working there. I actually applied to work at Hallmark way back in my high school years. I never gave it much thought when I think about how there were only females working there. It is interesting to think how would I interact with Meghan's male co-worker or female supervisor. Particularly, after taking this Woman Studies Course, would I speak my mind about it?
ReplyDelete