Sunday, March 22, 2009

"My" Privilege

During our lecture on privilege in class on Monday, we discussed the “privilege wheel” that was located in our textbook. On the board, we wrote all the privileged statuses, and then all the statuses that were not seen as privileged and were located at the bottom of the wheel. It was interesting to see all the characteristics and aspects that were located on opposite ends of the spectrum. As I reviewed the list, I saw myself fall under many of the categories that allow me to experience privilege; for example, youth, light/pale, white, heterosexual, able-bodied, etc. One privilege that I never really though about or considered it to be a privilege in everyday life is having an able body. To be honest, when I originally thought of privilege, I immediately thought of physical characteristics, like race.

By being able, I have the opportunity to experience many more things than those who have a disability. I am able to participate in many different sports and activities, and have the opportunity to easily move around the environment without any difficulties, unlike someone who is constrained to a wheelchair. An example of an event that I have experienced is in the summer of 2007, my cousin became paralyzed while on vacation in the Outer Banks. Now, he is a quadriplegic. Whenever he visits and we all go out as a big family, we need to make sure where we go is handicapped accessible. Another issue is that we need to take a specially made van for him to fit his wheelchair in. Although it takes time to care for him and bring him places, it is worth it. It makes me that much more thankful for the life I live and that I am able to walk and participate. Knowing that he goes through this everyday is my motivation to participate in many things, such as 5k races in which I dedicate my runs to him. I never have thought that being able was a privilege, but through this class and my personal experiences, I have realized how blessed I am and try to take risks and opportunities to participate in as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment